We host regular events for the trading card games Magic: the Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Pokemon, with occasional special events for Living Card Games such as Arkham Horror and The Lord of the Rings.
(Please CLICK HERE for important information regarding children's participation in events.)
There are currently two different types of MtG events hosted by Games of Berkeley.
- As the name suggests, Friday Night Magic (FNM) takes place every Friday, from 5PM to 9PM. FNM is open to all ages and skill levels for casual matches in your favorite format, trading cards*, hanging out with fellow MtG players, and learning the game itself. There is a $5 fee, and each participant receives a coupon good for $5 off the purchase of any product in the store.
- Prereleases are tournaments that are scheduled 1 week prior to the official release date for each new MtG set, so give players the chance to win prizes and get new cards early. These typically take place every 3 months, and are accompanied by the opportunity to pre-order full boxes of the new set at the same time, often with bonus promotional items. The entry fee and prize structure are not necessarily always the same, so check ticket prices and other details via our Facebook events listings or Event Tickets page.
Taking place from 1PM to 4PM on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, our non-tournament, casual play events for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game are great all-ages opportunities for skill-building and fun. This is casual "Goat Format" play with no adherence to ban lists, and participants are welcome to trade or barter unsealed cards with each other if they wish*. There is a $5 fee, and each participant receives a coupon good for $5 off the purchase of any product in the store.
There are currently four different types of Pokemon events hosted by Games of Berkeley. Tournaments and Prereleases are sanctioned by Pokemon, and hosted by Professor Spenser and/or Assistant Professors Ben and Emily. Additional information for each type of event can be found in our Calendar or Facebook events listings.
- Casual League Play takes place from 10AM to 1PM on the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th (when there is one) Sunday of each month. Come to battle, trade cards*, or just hang out and talk about Pokemon! Our professors are happy to assist anyone new to the game. There is a $5 fee, and each participant receives a coupon good for $5 off the purchase of any product in the store.
- Sealed Tournaments take place from 10AM to 3PM on the 1st Sunday of each month, and cost $15 to enter. Each participant constructs a 30-card deck on-site from the contents of 4 booster packs from the most recent main set (free with cost of entry, subject to set availability) and additional basic Energy cards provided by Games of Berkeley. The participants use those decks to play in the Sealed Tournament.
- League Challenges take place from 10AM to 3PM on the 4th Sunday of each month, and cost $10 to enter. Each participant enters with their own 60-card deck, which must be constructed from cards legal for the current Standard format. (LEARN MORE HERE) In these tournaments, players can earn Championship Points and work toward potentially earning an invitation to the World Championships.
- Prerelease Tournaments are special events that typically take place once every 3 months, giving you a sneak preview of upcoming Pokemon sets before they're available for purchase! Prize structure, tournament format, and entry fee typically remain about the same each time, but check individual event descriptions via our Facebook events listings or Event Tickets page for details.
Fantasy Flight's "Living Card Games" include such titles as Arkham Horror, The Lord of the Rings, A Game of Thrones, and others. Annual official events for these games typically take place near the beginning or end of each calendar year, so watch for announcements via Games of Berkeley's social media outlets.
* - Please note that monetary transactions between customers is prohibited on Games of Berkeley's premises.