Have you ever had a feeling you just couldn’t find the words to express? Or had an experience you wanted to share but you were stuck on how to explain it?
We all want to understand each other and need to be understood, so here's Lost for Words, a game to explore words from around the world that capture emotions and nuanced experiences to deepen our relationships and connections.
With over 300 unique words from over 60 different languages, Lost for Words aims to broaden our vocabularies, as well as our emotional awareness.
Studies have shown that the range of emotion words we know and use can help us process what we’re feeling, and using more specific words for how we feel can help us be better understood by others. Emotions can be so overwhelming, and it’s easy to sometimes find ourselves lost for words.
HOW TO PLAY
Lost for Words is made up of word cards and action cards:
- Word cards have a unique word, along with its definition and source language, and one of seven symbols on the top: heart, lightning, cloud, star, sun, moon, or diamond.
- Action cards have special instructions that affect gameplay and strategy.
At the start of each game, each player is dealt seven random cards from the deck, which they keep secret from other players.
On each turn, players have three options:
- Play a word card. Place it face-up in front of you, and share how you've experienced that feeling or experience: a moment or memory, who it reminds you of, or how you hope to experience it in the future.
- Play an action card. Follow the rules on the card, which ends your turn.
- Discard and draw again. Place any of your cards in the discard pile and draw a new card from the deck.
When any player runs out of cards in their hand, draw seven new cards from the deck.
The first player to play cards with each of the seven symbols or five of the same symbol is the winner!